- Non-Identifying Information. Whenever you visit our Site, we may collect non-identifying information from you, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, referring URL, browser, operating system, cookie information, and Internet Service Provider. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, this information alone cannot usually be used to identify you. However, if we combine this information or link it to any of the identifying information mentioned above, we may treat it as personal information. Otherwise, it is used in the aggregate only.
- Cookies/ We may also automatically collect certain information through the use of “cookies”. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive at the request of a website. Among other things, cookies help us improve our Site and your experience. Information obtained from cookies and linked to personally identifying information is treated as personal information. If you wish to block, erase, or be warned of cookies, please refer to your browser manufacturer to learn about these functions.
Use of Your Information
We may use your information to:
- send you emails from PACtion
- send you newsletters and otherwise provide you with information or services you request or that we think will be of interest to you, such as sending you information to keep you informed about various issues, events, etc.;
- respond to your emails, submissions, questions, comments, and requests and to provide customer service;
- monitor and analyze site usage and trends, and to personalize and improve the webpages and our users’ experiences on the Site, such as providing content, or features that match your profiles or interests, and to increase the website’s functionality and user friendliness;
- serve ads, on this or other websites or media, based on the information you provide and the actions you take;
- notify you of other related partner organizations, by selling or giving your email address to partner organization so they can contact you;
- target advertisements to you;
- deliver petitions to specific people, as specified in a given petition; and
- accomplish any other purpose for which the information was collected.
Unsubscribing, Accessing, Editing, and Removing Your Information
If you choose to provide your personal information by creating an account, sending us an email, or filling out a contact form, you may receive emails from PACtion. You can unsubscribe from our email list at any time.
Personal information cannot be collected via cookies and other tracking technology, however, if you previously provided personally identifiable information, cookies may be tied to such information. Aggregate cookie and tracking information may be shared with third parties. Under the Interest Based Advertising Program (the “Program”), we may serve advertisements to users (i) who are on our user lists and (ii) based on ad publisher and exchange-defined interest-categories.
If you participate in a joint action petition with a partner organization, you may receive email updates from the partner organization(s). PACtion is not responsible for the privacy practices of our partner organizations, so we encourage you to read their privacy policies.
Third Party Access to Your Information
Although you are entering into an Agreement with PACtion to disclose your information to us, we do use third party individuals and organizations to assist us, including contractors, web hosts, and others.
Throughout the course of our provision of our Service to you, we may delegate our authority to collect, access, use, and disseminate your information. For example, our web host stores the information that you provide us, and we may hire outside contractors to perform maintenance or assist us in securing our Site.
Release of Your Information for Legal Purposes
At times it may become necessary or desirable, for legal purposes, to release your information in response to a request from a government agency or a private litigant. You agree that we may disclose your information to a third party where we believe, in good faith, that it is desirable to do so for the purposes of a civil action, criminal investigation, or other legal matter. In the event that we receive a subpoena affecting your privacy, we may elect to notify you to give you an opportunity to file a motion to quash the subpoena, or we may attempt to quash it ourselves, but we are not obligated to do either. We may also proactively report you, and release your information to, third parties where we believe that it is prudent to do so for legal reasons, such as our belief that you have engaged in illegal or fraudulent activities. You release us from any damages that may arise from or relate to the release of your information to a request from law enforcement agencies or private litigants.
Commercial and Non-Commercial Communications
We take certain measures to enhance the security of our Site, including using SSL certificates and vulnerability scanning. However, we make no representations as to the security or privacy of your information. It is in our interest to keep our Site secure, but we recommend that you use anti-virus software, firewalls, and other precautions to protect yourself from security threats.
Your California Privacy Rights
1 Thomas Circle
Washington, DC 20009